How to know if you’re stuck in your career?
It’s Monday morning. You sigh and slump in your chair to read the 500 emails that came in over the weekend. Are you kidding me? You scream as you are notified that a colleague passed you over for a promotion. A team member talked about her great weekend at the beach. What???? You get a slack that the presentation that you worked on over the weekend to “perfection” needed many changes. You are continually told what a great job you’re doing, but the work keeps piling up.
Stuckness can manifest in different ways. Are you having any of these feelings?
- Something or someone is preventing you from moving forward.
- Your contributions and talents are not recognized or appreciated.
- You feel that people around you have no idea what you do.
- Inability to break through circumstances that hold you back.
Behaviors and habits have contributed in ways to keep you stuck. Do any of these resonate with you?
- Overcommitting to please.
- Keep your head down before building alliances.
- Uncomfortable about talking about your achievements.
- She is known for being a “doer” and not a strategic thinker.
- We are operating in Auto-Pilot mode.
Start with where you are to understand where the feeling of being stuck is coming from.
- How long has this been going on?
- What have you tried to do to change things?
- Are you engaging in activities that bring you energy?
- Are your work and the company aligned with your values?
- How are you showing up to others?
- Notice what you are telling yourself.
- Shift focus – what can you control?
- Change a routine
- Find ways to bring energy and joy into your day
- Time to make a change? Hire a career coach.
As a career coach, I’ve helped people make potent changes and gain career fulfillment.